Probably one of my last blogs before I head home =(. I can't beleive I have been here almost a month!
My last day at the center was a little bitter sweet. It was a little sad that the kids have no understanding of us being there and not coming back. It crushes me to form a bond with some of the kids, only to leave them hanging - such as life, I suppose. As I was feeding Nemi (who is a bear to feed), Anura came and sat on my lap while I was sitting on the yellow exercise ball - talk about balancing multiple things at once! Lunch seemed to be getting later and later throughout my stay and Friday was no different. We loaded the kids and they had left, and then we were finally served lunch around 4 p.m. Lunch was worth the wait because it was probably the #1 Dal Bhat I have had in Nepal - INCREDIBLE. I then left quickly because I had to run back to the Pradhans (host 'family') to grab my bags and catch a taxi to get to Thamel in time for a meeting. I had to walk home alone, which was a little scary, but I made it home in one fair swoop. I only had to carry my luggage down two floors until Sanjeev (My host dad) called the driver to come and carry my luggage the rest of the way. He hailed me a taxi and I was on my way. I got in the taxi and got out a piece of gum. I decided to offer Mr. Taxi man a piece and his face completely lit up! So we chewed our gum and had a lovely taxi ride back to Thamel. Mr. Hotel Excelsior guy then carried my luggage up to the 4th floor for me! GAH. I felt bad.
THEN I FOUND OUT MICHAEL JACKSON DIED?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I am still in complete state of shock - evident of this completely random comment.
Last night was a typcial night in Thamel. We all met at Mayas for drinks and Som and Susan were there - the couple we met white water rafting/couple who took us to the village. They were supposed to leave the day before, but long story short, they couldn't. It was soooo wonderful to see them. Afterwards about 30 volunteers headed out to dinner to The Factory. A bunch of new volunteers are in for the month of July and it was sooooo much fun to pass on the reins and answer their millions of questions. It was so funny to listen to them complain about some stuff and how each and every one of us basically told them to get used to it or they wouldn't survive =). There was a live band playing at The Factory which was so much fun - AND we ate dinner by candlelight. I can't wait to get home and live in a dark house. Because the music was SOOOO loud, I had a napkin conversation, via writting upside down, with a new guy Marc (with a C) from Englad....what a whoot.
(One of my best memories here has been going home and the power going out, and then sitting around the candle with the flatmates reading or playing cards.....so wonderful).
After The Factory we went and got some snacks for our weekend trip to Lukla and headed to bed pretty early due to our early morning flight.
We woke up Saturday morning around 4 a.m. to a thunderstorm - ask and you shall receive; dang it. It was refreshing, but we were not to thrilled. We left the hotel around 4:45 a.m. via taxi which we ordered the night before. Thamel is absolutely DEAD at that time in the morning. When I got in the taxi the windows were completely fogged over - they have no concept of defrost...that scared me a little, but then I reminded myself I have no fear.
We got to the airport around 5:15 a.m. and waited outside until the airport opened at 6 a.m. Our flight was supposed to board around 5:45 a.m. (Don't know how that was supposed to happen if the airport isn't even open, but that is what they told us).
Side note, the girl next to me is on Skype with someone telling them about how amazing yoga is...hahahah....the cultural differences and the things people find fascinating.
Anyways.....yes. So we get into the airport and through security with no problem. Then we are standing there, waiting in line and someone completely cut Allison. She is such a whoot. "Excuse me sir, umm, there's a line thank you" (steps in front of man and goes on with her business - we all agree she is going to have an anurism here if she doesn't get used to the culture soon =)). So we got through and were sitting around. 6:15 came and went, as did 6:30 and 6:45. Since coming here we have learned that there is no concept of time here, so we figured everything was fine - they were just running a 'bit' behind. Finally we asked someone and they were like "We are leaving in 10 minutes." 10 min. came and went as did 20 min, and 30 min. One of us went again and they then informed us that the Lukla airport was closed - I love the Monsoon. There was a possibility that Lukla's airport would re-open later in the afternoon, so we decided to wait around a while longer.
Side note, the girl next to me is on Skype with someone telling them about how amazing yoga is...hahahah....the cultural differences and the things people find fascinating.
Anyways.....yes. So we get into the airport and through security with no problem. Then we are standing there, waiting in line and someone completely cut Allison. She is such a whoot. "Excuse me sir, umm, there's a line thank you" (steps in front of man and goes on with her business - we all agree she is going to have an anurism here if she doesn't get used to the culture soon =)). So we got through and were sitting around. 6:15 came and went, as did 6:30 and 6:45. Since coming here we have learned that there is no concept of time here, so we figured everything was fine - they were just running a 'bit' behind. Finally we asked someone and they were like "We are leaving in 10 minutes." 10 min. came and went as did 20 min, and 30 min. One of us went again and they then informed us that the Lukla airport was closed - I love the Monsoon. There was a possibility that Lukla's airport would re-open later in the afternoon, so we decided to wait around a while longer.
Quick note - originally it was just going to be Sam and me going to Lukla for the weekend. Then she got two new roommates and recruited them to come with. Allison is from Canada studying Biophysics and Conor is from N. Ireland, but is a lawyer in London.
Anyways. So we waited around again, taking turns asking about the flight because they don't announce anything. Around 8 a.m. we basically decided that waiting in the airport all day wasn't going to be fun. I had tons of stuff I still desired to see in Kathmandu that I didn't think I was going to see that I now had the oppurtunity to and didn't want to pass up the opp. Also, if we got to Lukla the trails would be muddy, which would be no fun, and it was expected to rain for the rest of the day. Lastly, if the airport can randomly close, that is to close for comfort for my flight home on Tuesday. Those were my reasons anyways - amongst the others. But yes. We ended up deciding to simply head back home.
As we were walking out of the airport, a good handful of men approached us. We told them where we wanted to go and one guy was like "450." HECK NO! Then another guy came up and we offered 300Rs and he was like "I take for 250Rs." He is the first person who has gone DOWN in price - amazing. Not only that, but it was the first real car I had been in since leaving the US.
As we were walking out of the airport, a good handful of men approached us. We told them where we wanted to go and one guy was like "450." HECK NO! Then another guy came up and we offered 300Rs and he was like "I take for 250Rs." He is the first person who has gone DOWN in price - amazing. Not only that, but it was the first real car I had been in since leaving the US.
We got back to Thamel, dropped our stuff back in our room and headed to breakfast. We then headed out to get our $$$ back and look into the possiblity of taking a mountain flight in the morning. We got one price and then went to another agency who gave us a better price. So we went back to the other guys and got that same price with a taxi for us in the morning. SOOOO, tomorrow I am seeing EVERESTTTTTTT. SCORE. Fingers crossed that we can take off!! If we don't see it, we are insured our $$$ back, so it is a win-win situation. We were told we probably wouldn't be able to see alot of mountains in Lukla, but oh well. Everything happens for a reason.
We decided that we were going to head to Monkey Temple for the morning. It was absolutely INCREDIBLE. Wild monkeys running around everywhere. I couldn't stop taking pictures but they were just so darn cute. We asked the taxi guy to drive us to the top so we didn't have to climb the 100's of stairs, but he dropped us at the bottom and so we sucked it up - greatest thing to happen all day, no joke. The walk up there was a lot easier than I was expecting. We walked around all morning, did a little shopping, and just had a blast.
[The stairs to the top...]
[Prayers flag EVERYWHERE]
[Where we came from...]
[Prayer Wheels]
At one point, Sam and I were standing on the ledge taking a picture of the scenery when all of a sudden I thought someone came up and patted me on the head really quickly. Sam and I both screamed and looked up. It wasn't someone patting us. A freaking monkey ran along the side of the wall, jumped from our heads onto the tree branch! I had a monkey running across my head!!! OH MY GOOOOOOODNESS. It was quite the site and one of my favorite things I have seen in Nepal. Along with everything else =).
Afterwards we hopped back in a taxi and went to OR2K for lunch. I got pizza and are you ready for this. I was by far the best pizza I have EVER had. Topped the Tandorri chicken I got the other night. It was.....Olives, Garlic (like CLOVES), Pineapple, and Pesto. DELISH!!!! OH MAN. How tasty.
Now we are at the internet cafe. I am going to make my last attempt at curling my hair for the last night on the town. Wish me luck and Garrett, you best not be laughing right now.
Cheers for EVEREST!
No comments:
Post a Comment