Friday, June 12, 2009

A Weekend to Remember

Friday


WoW. What a start to a day. I woke up "early" to take a shower. My roommates were giving me crap for waking up 'early,' but I don't know why I would get up just to sit around =). Anyways, long story short, I was getting ready to take a shower and the water wouldn't start. There was NO way we were out of water because it POURED (finally) the night before! So I got Sanjv and he fixed the water. I got in and 1/2 way through the water stopped running again. I had to get creative and made it through....but wow. Yes. I cannot wait for a real shower, but for the time being, I am enjoying the freezing cold experiences - they literally wake you right up.



Breakfast was okay. We had three pieces of bread with mixed fruit jam....mmmmm??? Nathalie and I headed off to the internet cafe to upload some photos for someone. I got to talk to my daddy =D, and a few friends for a few brief moments before I headed out. Totally made my morning complete. After struggling and failing to upload these photos for an hour, we decided it was time for work.



We walked down the dirt road just fine. Back up. After my last post I was walking out of the internet cafe and I kid you not, almost ran into a bull. The cows roam the street like wild dogs here. If I'd of taken one or two more steps, I would have run right into it. SCARY.



Anyways, so we were walking down the road and then got to the main road and that is when we had our first encounter with the Maoists. My dad scared me enough to fear them, so I just looked at Nathalie and made her decide if we were going to risk our lives. We decided to risk it. They just had all the traffic stopped, which meant we could walk down the middle of the road. GLORIOUS. After a stressful walk to work we decided to stop at the Barkery and get a drink - well deserved.



Work went pretty well. A ton of kids were still absent, which was nice, but that also means the teachers didn't care about the kids even more. A few times I walked out and there was no one in the classroom....GRRRRR. We were getting ready to take a patient into the room until we noticed he soiled his pants. It isn't our job to change them, but I can't sit there and let them be like that...so Maggie and I saved them from misery.



We didn't get lunch until way late today, which is kind of frusterating and a story for another day, but in the end Nathalie and I got a taxi back to Thamel to enjoy ourselves a little more before the chaos began. We got our hotel room for the night and am now in the internet cafe, uploading photos, and relaxing.



(Paused for tons of fun....here we go....).



After the internet cafe we headed back to Maya's and actually made it in time to hang out with all the volunteers. That was a freaking blast. Sam and I caught up on our weeks and the Canadian tried talking us into going bungee jumping - if only it was in two weekends. After swearing to myself I was going to stick to water, someone handed me a Peach Daq. and the rest is history.



Soon after Mayas we headed to the Roadhouse, where I had the BEST steak of my ENTIRE life. It was dipped in red wine sause or something....I don't know. But the serving was huge, the potatoes were AMAZING, and for only 385Rs...WoW.



After the Roadhouse we headed to Tom and Jerrys. There I ordered the Tom and Jerry special. (A mix of a whole lot of stuff that tastes HORRIBLE when combined - voda, apricot brandy, mixed fruit juices, and creme). I'm on this kick now where I try the local special rather than what I know - its been an interesting experience. We stayed at T&J's for a while and at one point in the night I made eye contact with this guy behind the bar - had to have been in his 40's-50's. He smiled at me, I smiled and looked away. Later, we made eye contact again and he comes out from behind the bar, and reaches across the table to where I am sitting and shakes my hand. All the girls look at me like WTHeck and then look at the guy who then proceeds to shake their hand as well. When he left they all asked me WTHeck and I told them and they just butted jokes at me for the rest of the night =(.


Backup (Nathalie always makes fun of me when I tell her stories about things that have happened back in America because I always get so excited that I jump to the end of the story without any details...then I have to say "back up" and she bursts into laughter). Oh Nathalie-'na'. ;).


Anyways, so when we were at Maya's we were waiting for Som and Susan to get there to give us details for the morning/weekend. They finally arrived as we were heading out for dinner and Som informed us that he went to the village to get everything prepared for our arrival (He wasn't kidding...come to find out). He then informed us that he instructed a few villagers to kill a buffalo (A real one...not an american bison) in honor of us coming to their village - he also wasn't kidding about that one either. So we handed over $25 for the bikes and weekend, got some more details, and headed out for the night as outlined above.

(Saturday)


The next morning we woke up and met up with the drivers to take us to our final destination. Batase, Nepal. Don't Google it or Google Map it. It is SOOOOOOO remote practically no one knows it exists - and by remote, I mean....Words can't even describe. So I meet up with my driver, Kumar (sp?) who is 25 and had a shop in Thamel which closed two days ago - atleast that was my interrpretation of our broken Nepali-English conversation. When I got on the bike, we literally speed off into the wind and that is when I began fearing for my life.


Side note - for those of you who have seen the Lizzy McGuire movie, when she meets the boy and she wisks her away through the back streets of the city with her holding on tight....that is what I felt like.


We drove for about 30 minutes and then stopped with the group for some Milk Tea - my new favourite (w/ a 'u' as all my English friends spell it) drink and my main consumption of calories. We took off again and stopped about 2 hours later in this little village, the last one on the paved road, where they had lunch all prepared for us...along with more tea. For lunch we had peas, and potatoes, and hard boiled eggs - Mom, I ate the peas....but there's a first and last time for everything =).


After lunch we hit the unpaved road and what a freaking adventure. I thought that was pretty dangerous, but that was only a warm up for what was to come. We drove for about another 90 minutes (these times are all guesstimates...my time clock is so messed up over here and my $9 watch from wal-mart is broken. It works, but everyone wants me to just throw it away...). Anyways, we got to a village, more like a small Nepali town to visit the Hostel which Som bought to house kids from his village so they could attend school. After taking a quick tour we got into some cruddy clothes and headed down to the river to bathe with the locals. Shampoo, Conditioner, soap and all. Talk about a cultural experience. The Nepali people have to cross the river with loads on their bags and this poor women feel over with the current. It was kind of sad but amazing to see the young men run over to her and help her up. Everyone would have started laughing in America. Sickening.


After drying out on a rock we headed back to the Hostel to eat some Dal Baht and water. During lunch we heard these loud instruments (horribly out of tune, but completely in tune for their sounds...). We went outside and saw a small corp of men playing. Come to find out there was a marriage in the village that day - all the women were wearing red sarries (the dress of women). Come to find out, the men come to the brides house and play loud music to lure her out of her house. Then a large bus full of men come and take her away to her husband - who most of the time she doesn't meet until she is down the aisle. Nonetheless, we didn't get to see her before we left.


After lunch we headed up this hill, which was so step and rocky that we had to walk up the first part. Then Kumar told me to hop back on and I have never been more fearful in my life. Lets just say that I have deep bruises in my hands from holding onto the bike so tightly, multiple blisters and missing skin. There were a few parts that were so hilly that people had to get off and walk - I am so not in shape for this altitude/climbing....compltely shattering my dream of climbing Everest in the near future. We stopped periodically to regather as a group before pushing on. On the way up there we only tipped twice and didn't fly out into the air like a few of my mates....scary stuff. We should have been on motorbikes. No worries Mom - I was in a helmet and long pants and a jacket - which I got crap for but I don't have any scatches on my arm like some people =).


Finally we made it to a point in the mountain where the road was unpassable (sp? - right word?). Everyone got off and started walking and that is when I started thinking to myself - why the heck was I there? I was informed we would have to walk up a pretty steep hill to the village, but I was not prepared for what was to come. I took it slowly, enjoying the scenery/fresh air/my life...then Krishan popped up from behind me. We got to talking and would stop and chat and then press on. Come to find out he is a jewler in Thamel and used to live in SLC. (He is an important character to this story so remember him). Anways, we finally made it to the top and I literally crashed on the pourch. I could have cared less how filthy dirty it was, I have never been more physically exhausted in my entire life - I could have given up right then and there. There was this cute old guy on the porch who started talking to me in Nepali. He was so crippled but he was so quick to get me a whicker mat and they drew me a makeshift bed. I asked for water only to find out everyones supply was gone - for the remainder of the weekend we drank boiled water (Well, for a good majority...)....not very enjoyable, but then again, I just needed something in my system. Thank goodness for my years of hiking experience that I packed some trail mix...I probably would have passed out if not for Wal-Mart.


After everyone arrived Som took us up to the house he is buidling for volunteers who come up to help in the school which is he also building just down the "hill." What a freaking gorgeous house! No code, but considering everything people have out here, it will be pretty luxrious. I took some pictures and Som started a bon-fire on the top of the world - where we would spend the remainder of the night.


Saturday night was probably one of the best nights of my entire life. I decided then and there that aside from bringing my sister into this world for me, sending me to Nepal was the best thing my parents have done =). The night began kind of slow - trying to warm up to the Nepali children who were absoltuely fasinated with us - quite literally. After taking some pictures and showing them pictures of themselves, we became quite the attraction. I literally had close to 30 children surrounding me, some leaning up against my back, others trying to get as close as possible. It was just....beyond incredible. With a roaring fire at my feet, I had consumed at least 10 cups of tea, poured by Sanu, Soms little brother who was as cute as a button. Later in night we were given a plate of buffalo - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. I was a literally weary of getting sick, but I reminded myself I had the right medications and enjoyed myself. Dinner came around 10 p.m. as there were literally close to 100 people there for this "celebration." People came from all over the mountain side - it was sooooo cool. It was kind of like a middle school dance - boys on one side, girls on the other.


At one point of the night Kumar (my driver), pulled out his little drum and started singing. They would sing a verse and then the girls would sing a verse - It was some kind of game and they would pick out people and if they lost (still not sure how that happens) then a boy and girl have to get married. It was kind of like 99 bottles of beer on the wall, in terms of it repeating itself, but after 3 hours I still was not sick of it. I looked up to the sky at one point in the night and was almost in tears. I was closer to the stars than I have ever been in CO and they were brighter than any evening's sky I have ever seen.


Remember Krishan, they guy who walked up the mountain with me? Well, there was definitely some drinking going on - oh yes, they made some moonshine called "Roxy" for this party. It tasted like water but burns your throat like you couldn't believe. Anyways, so after some Roxy and beer, the singing got quite hilarious...and then the drivers started dancing (Again, coming to a YouTube never you soon).


Anyways, so I hear my name being called, "Alesscccc, Alessscccc." I ignored it at first because I knew whoever it was was completely drunk and I was to busy learning my Nepali alphabet from the children - who know the English alphabet, putting me to shame. Anyways, he was persistent, so I looked up and there was Krishan, dancing around the fire. "Give me two seconds Alesssccc, two seconds. Come donnnnce." I tried getting Chloe and Sam to go with me, but Krishan only wanted me. OH MAN. So, I got up and danced with Krishan. Totally making his night and my walk up the mountain worth every bit of sweat (pictures to come). The dancing ended and for the rest of night and he gave me the tightest hug and wettest drunken kiss on my cheek ever. Awarkard. But it was an awesome night.


Krishan was getting ready to leave but he was like "Give me two minutes Alesssccc. Two minutes." I had NO idea what he wanted, so I said good-night and then he proposed me to me! "Alessccc - will you marry me?" What a night.


We slept under the stars that night with a roaring fire at our feet. In fact, the blanket almost caught on fire, so by roaring at my feet that is quite literal. We woke up the next morning, and I kid you not, the MINUTE I opened my eyes there was a man in a green shirt standing above me, "Wake up. Your tea is here." THE MINUTE I WOKE UP. I tried rolling back over, but he insisted that I wake up. I sat up, looked at my broken yet functioning watch....with was 5:14 a.m. What a culture. So I drank me tea, and tried going back to sleep, but the kids were sitting around the fire which was still smoking, still singing the night before...they got 3 hours of sleep...how they do it I will never know.


We psedo got ready for the day and took a "walk" to an orchard that Som started for his village. After going for a couple walks and group pictures, we headed back down the mountain for our ride home. Kumar wasn't there. I was quite scared because we had a sense of trust in each other - more or less me for him.


Long story short, I got 1/2 way down the mountain on one bike, and then Krishan came out of the blue on a bike. "Allleescccc." OMG. He got off the bike he was on, and onto another bike and told me to get on. OMG. This guy was going to drive me down a mountain. So I did. Again, risking my life. He kept turning around to talk to me, turning back around only to swerve a little before gaining control again. When I got on the one other guy that was standing the nudged me and started laughing - I can only imagine what they were thinking. Thankful they made me get on another bike with another driver, because that could have been deadly. At one point, we stopped and Krishan started talking to me in Spanish. He didn't realize that I knew some and could pick out a few words - he then claimed he could talk 25 languages. I think he was still drunk. He then asked me what I was doing the following weekend. I told him and he tried talking me into skipping my plans and to let him take me motorbiking. I said after this weekend I needed a break - what a smooth talker. On our last stop he reminded me that he gave me his car (what is up with Nepali men and business cards) and said that I needed to visit his shop to get some jewelry. He was hilarious.
Nevertheless, we finally made it down the mountain without falling off - my flat mate stacked hers a few times, so I am very thankful I stayed upright on the trip down. When we got back down the hill Kumar arrived and I coudn't have had a bigger smile on my face. We again exchanged some broken conversation, but hopped back on the bike for the best ride of my life. He is a little speed demon and has a kinck for being in the front of the pack - it was a freaking blast.

We got back to after nearly dieing 20 times in the Kathmandu traffic, more dirty than I have ever been in my entire life. You should have seen the looks on peoples face when I walked into the internet cafe. Luckily I had wet wipes, and 5 later I could start to see white on the cloth again. Sam let me shower at her place and we went to a Turkish resturant for dinner - heaven on a plate. We went home in the worst taxi ride of my life, in which our driver clipped someones arm and almost ran over a little girl - I couldn't wait to get home.

When we got home I chatted with the host family breifly before crashing for the night.

We woke up this morning and our host dad advised us not to go to work today. I guess there were supposed to be some violent protests on the streets, so we took the day off. Thank goodness because I was so exhausted and woke up with a sore throat - no fun. We have been taking naps and then made some Veg. Momo's for lunch. Cabbage, onion, and ginger wrapped in bread....they were pretty tasty actually.

Those are all for my stories. I still love my flatmates - I have been teaching them all kinds of card games including nervous breakdown and ERS. Today we played Phase 10. It took a while for them to catch on, but I think they are addicted. The other night as we lie in bed Nathalie asked me if I knew of any games. I thought she was wanting to play cards but then she said she wanted to play speaking games and assumed I knew some since I am so "involved" on my campus - B.S. Anyways, so I introduced them to the question game and that was a blast. One of the questions was something to the effect if I had one last dying wish, where would I go. It ended up being Africa of which Nathalie said that was to vauge. Come to conlcusion, I want to go to the ivory coast and get some ivory off the elephants - the has also been the butt of jokes.
Well, I must be off for now. It is getting dark and I don't want to get caught on the streets in any protests - although they are supposed to be over.
Huge shout out to everyone who emailed me this weekend. I couldn't be more thankful =).
Much Love.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I read your blog, I always draw parallels to my own adventures. Then I realize how more extraordinary your adventures are then mine were in Iowa, Britain, and Europe. More extraordinary by a factor of 10 at least.

    To start a drinking game... Never have I ever... proposed or been proposed to...

    Are you telling us you want to poach elephants?

    p.s. Stop hitting on the middle aged Nepali men (the younger ones as well).

    ReplyDelete