Since I last wrote, Sam and I took to the streets of Thamel on our own to find a pizza place Chris pointed out to us along the way. Needless to say, we don't know the streets of Thamel =). We ended up a cute place called The Northfield Cafe. We were both going to get some Indian food (Gasp Mom/Dad/Amanda), but they didn't serve it until 6 p.m. Sad. Anyways. I ended up getting Chicken Fett. Alfredo (made with goat's cheese....), a Mirianda, and split chips and salsa for 512Rs, or about $6.50 US. SCORE. We then headed back and I packed my bags to head to my host family.
After another CRAZY, and like.....yeah...words don't describe (Mom, you wouldn't have let me come if you would have seen the streets....but be assured I walk down the middle of them more instead of driving....probably safer - Dodgeball Intermural Champion Fall 2009, here I come ;)). Anyways, I arrived at my host family and got setteled in RIGHT away. I couldn't have asked for better suite mates - although my living accomadations aren't much of a suite. Nevertheless, I was left for the better of my own good and the rest of the night was history. We chatted for a while, then ate some dinner.
STORY TIME! So, we were eating the traditional dinner of Dal Baht, and BAM, the power went out! And when the power goes out, it is BLACK. Like, DEAD black. So we got to eat the remainder of our meal by candlelight. I LOVED IT! I am going to eat all my meals by candlelight when I get home - after this trip, electricity is SO overrated.
(This story is for Amanda, who thinks I curl my hair to much. I had some time the last morning I was in the hotel, so I decided to curl my hair. I got 1/2 way done and the power went out. Laugh all you want. Looking back it is VERY funny....I had it coming. I won't try curling my hair again for the next 25 days =)).
Anyways. We went back upstairs and I suggested we played cards. The three younger girls crawled under the skeeter net on Nathalie's bed, I put my head lamp on the top (outside) (THANKS DAD!) and I taught them how to play Egyptian Rat Screw! It was a slow game, but they don't really know a whole lot of games, so we are going to have a fun next few weeks.
SO, I was in HEAVEN last night. My bed is right next to a window and sliding glass door. Since I don't have a skeeter net I sprayed myself crazy with spray and crawled into bed. Bed is simply a few pieces of wood slapped together with a flat "mattress...." - COMFY. They didn't provide a top sheet, but luckily I stole a blanket from my Delta flight, so I was set. OH, yes - we sleep with the window (no screen) and sliding glass door open! GAHHHHHH. And only got one bite. AHMAZING. Must have been all that garlic I ate the last night I was home =).
I woke up this morning around 5:30 and couldn't go back to bed - so I finished the journal I started last night before a suitemate woke me up to tell me I should go to bed. HAHAHA. We kind of putzed around, got our bags ready for rafting, headed down for breakfast (6 pieces of small sliced bread with no crusts and Jam and TEA, Nepali style - NO crusts because the mroning before Nathalie asked for no crusts and now she thinks we all want that. Our other option is Dal Baht. The same thing we are served for dinner). After that we got some fresh water and walked to the center.
My day at the center was one of the best days of my life. No details here, but the kids are suffering from everything from Club Foot, Cerebral Palsy, Epliepsy and beyond, yet have SO much life in them. Maggie, my 38 year old suite mate from Germany, told me after one patient that I would be taking over the Physio-Therapist (Physical Therapist). I kind of laughed a little and told her I wasn't qualified and she said based on what she saw my doing through assisting during the first patient she didn't believe me. I told her I didn't know any techniques and she reminded me I was in Nepal to learn. SO, I had my very first patient - GAH! I did an inital diagnosis, and told Maggie what I thought we should do and she just sat there smiling. She told me she was beyond impressed with my terminology and said that I should give my plan a go. SOOO, long story short, by the end of a treatment, a girl who couldn't roll over to either side before we started, was rolling to her right on her own and to her left with some help - watch out PT school. WHOOT. I got a pat on the back and felt so AMAZING. SO, for the next few patients, I was in charge. I taught a little boy how to walk up stairs (one of his feet he walks on his toes) and we even got him to stand on his own - BEAUTIFUL. I'm going to stop nerding out and just tell you that I am going to love the next few weeks at my placement (although a few days before I went were supposedly a lot different than today).
OH. SO Wild Chicks. A few things. For lunch I ate beaten rice and chick-peas with curry - DELISH! And wild chicks - so I was feeding this boy today and he went to shake my head and kept trying to kiss my hand - if only American boys were that aggressive ;). Additionally, we stopped at the stopping mall on the way home (for a break...more later), and this guy got out his phone and was taking pictures of me!!! I am literally one of two blondes I know right now in Nepal....and probably the tallest female....Ridiculous!
Anyways - so we left our placement and Maggie decided that she didn't want to spend 45 minutes in a taxi, so we all decided to walk from Patan to Thamel, where we are staying for the night. She also told us where knew where she was going - not going to get into this one, but 1 hour and 20ish minutes later we were in Thamel. I bought a mask on the way to "work" today because the pollution is HORRIBLE. We got some pictures - we're impressive. Anyways....ummmmm yes. SO walking from Patan to Thamel made me the most uncomfortable I had been in my life. At one point I noticed these boys were following us. They kept getting closer everytime we turned around so at one point I finally pushed (literally) Nathalie into the road and told her to cross now. After dashing a few back streets, we lost them. They just looked freaky and apprently I'm the only one who noticed us. But this wasn't the normal Nepali stare - this was "How are we going to get their belongs stare" (Good reason to be afraid Dad, but I've proved I can out smart them =)). But the streets are so crowded, there are cars and motor bikes everywhere, including the side walks, and at one point, swear to you, I was being chased by a wild monkey carrying a baby.....ask Nathalie. OMG. It was SO cool to see wilds monkeys, but when you are prey of one....not so cool. I defintely got a picture of a few of them. (And the Monks - random story, but there were monks staying in my hotel with me. One of them said something to me in Monk language, and I smiled BIG and he smiled and I felt complete).
I think that is enough for today. The conditions are horrible, but I am looking at the bright side. I definitely miss a shower curtain, toilet paper (ever though I AM using), but definitely NOT electricity! I don't mind the trased roads, the smells, or how devesating a third world country in, but am rather trying to take everything in. PHEW. Okay. Out on the town for another night in Thamel. Wish me luck and pray that I return safely from my rafting adventures!
Ta-Ta for now!
WAIT - how did I completely forget to tell you about my first shopping adventures?! GAH. SOOOOO, we went shopping. I am not going to spoil the fun and mention what I was shopping for, but what I originally wanted the guy wanted 1200Rs for. At one point he told me my price wasn't possible, and then called me "mad" (as in crazy). I laughed and told him no thank you and long story short, wished him a good day and walked out of the store. He ran after me, handed me what I wanted for 300Rs and I accepted. 1/5th of the freaking price and I was "mad?" Sometimes its best to stand your ground. A little further down the way I found some more things I was looking for a got a killer deal!! GAH. LOVE bartering! Anyways - I am freaking turning into a hippe - not pot smoking for this young broad. ANYWAYS, so I got some gypsie pants for.....$6US! FOR TWO! And then, I got two BEAUTIFUL scarfs (not the only ones I will be buying, for approx $4US! LOVE NEPAL!
Okay, I seriously need to let you go! Hope all is well stateside.
HUGE shout out to my friend Eileen - you deserve one ;).
I'm so glad you're enjoying your experience at the clinic. I think it's ok for you to nerd out. It's what you want to do; don't be ashamed. It makes me smile to think your doing great stuff. Keep it up!!! ;)
ReplyDelete1. So what exactly is "Monk language"? :)
ReplyDelete2. Wild monkeys = way cool!
3. LOL picturing you with the curling iron hair dryer and no electricity. Could have saved you 5 lbs off that 50 lb suitcase. hahahahah
love ya!
Mom asked the questions above (below?) and needed to use my gmail account to post the comment. So it should read "Diana said..."
ReplyDeleteLove you and have a great week.
Dad
Ummmm... Alexia? How California!!!!!!!!! Sooo, are you going to get a Tibetan name while you're out there? Like, Nepalex? Get it, Nepal, Alex, Nepalex?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... ha ha... okay, so it wasn't that funny. Sounds like you are having a beyond-fantastic experience. I'm jealous that you are seeing the Himalayas with your own 2 eyeballs. Next time you take that night-time pic, don't delete it!!!
ReplyDelete- Uncle Mike (you know, the west coast uncle)