Nevertheless....what a past 24 hours it has been. Where to start? Well, Chloe and I went "shopping." More like walking the streets of Thamel, trying to get our barries, etc.
She had to be back to Excelsior (the place we are staying) to gather her rack-shack (thats what one of the guys here calls it) so she could be taken to her host family - rather, our host family. Come to find out, I will be living with 4 other female volunteers who will be working at the CBR in Patan and living together! AWESOME! No walking to work by myself. Anyways, so she had to be back and I was to have my introduction at 4 p.m., so I took my journal to the roof of Excelsior and overlooked the city while catching a few rays - what a life!
I went back down to my room to wait for my call - I got a call around 4 saying that I was going to have my introduction today with another volunteer who was coming in later that night. I didn't know where the other volunteers room's were, so I just played a few games on my iPod and that is when my body crashed - I think the only reason I wasn't tired until that point was because I was running on adrenilene. But when I crashed, it was hard and fast. I took a nap for two hours, but was sure to set my alarm so I could think about getting dinner, but more or less to watch the sunset over the Himalayas - or rather what I could see of them =). GORGEOUS.
After dark I decided that I needed to keep drinking water, so I headed downstairs. I was thinking about just going back to bed, but I made the right decision. I go downstairs and order my water (1 liter for 25 rupies or $0.33....Disneyworld rips people OFF!). I noticed there were a few volunteers there, so I stood around until they were done chatting and introduced myself.
I met this girl named Sam, and guess what? She goes to Indiana University - my #2 choice for college. AH-MAZING. So we started chatting and then Chloe invited us to join her for dinner. The waiter told us that we needed to have our first TRUE Nepali meal - Dal Baht. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, other than it is AMAZING. SO good. Curried everything with white rice - Amanda, I'm not going to starve. One last note - I had just gotten done telling everyone that I was left-handed when no later than two minutes later, the waiter, who knows my room # (That is how cool this hotel is), called me out for eating with my left hand. GAH. For those of you who don't know, the left hand is used for cleaning yourself after the bathroom, ect. Yes. SOOOO, watching me eat is quite the scene.
(Paron me for any misspellings throughout this blog - I don't have the ability of spell check).
After dinner we were going to head back to our rooms, but Ashi asked if we were going to the bar. Everyone kind of looked at each other with an intrigued look and we decided, why the heck not.
We left Excelsior for our first night on the town, and what an experience.
As we were walking we were approached by beggar boys. As we (Aspen, Ashi, and myself) stood there, waiting for Sam to exchange her money, we were approached by these two "streets boys" as Ashi would call them. The one boy totally depants another and they both thought it was funny - we just rolled our eyes. Right after that, the one "street boy" wouldn't move out of a honking cars way, so he ran over the back of his foot. GAH. He is okay, Mom =). But yes, I'm not kidding when I say there are no rules to the road.
Ashi decided to head back to Excelsior after that, and the three of us pressed on, Aspen leading the way. We walk about another 50 yards and Aspen admitts he doesn't know where he is going. Earlier Chloe pointed out a bar, so I suggested we go check it out. We get there and are greeted by the Police offer who salutes us (I felt like a Colonel for a moment in time), and lead us in. There was a live band there playing American music - home sweet home. It was SUCH a cute little place. Were we sat, you had to take your shoes off and then go up these steps and sit on these little chairs on the ground....HOW COOL!! I ended up getting a Planters Punch - I don't know what was in it but it was THE strongest drink I have EVER had. PHEW.
We chatted between songs because it was too loud otherwise. We left to head back home shortly after the band finished - come to find out, Thamel closes around 10:30 per the curfew set by the Moaists....they weren't lying when they suggested coming back earlier rather than later - the streets were bit scary.
After coming back we headed up to the roof of Excelsior for a night view of Kathmandu and of course I took a few moments to look at the stars. There are literally no lights on one during the evening in Kathmandu - I took a picture but then erased it, because you have to be here to experience it. LOVE THIS COUNTRY!
I headed back downstairs after long and decided to take a shower. As you will see from my pictures, when they get posted, there is no shower curtain or tub. The shower is right over the toilet - interesting. My shower experience was interesting. I thought the bathroom was going to flood, so I only turned on the water to rinse - a new habit I might pick up once I am state-side again.
As I lied in bed, I literally felt like I was lying on the street of Thamel. The car horns and noises don't let up, but quite honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way. Its like listening to the crickets on grandpa's farm - atleast that's what I tell myself as I try to fall asleep. I won't go into the other noises I heard, but they aren't anything I will ever forget.
I woke up this morning to meet Sam and Aspen, and Chloe for breakfast. Ruth called Chloe and said that she was picking us up at 10:30 a.m. to take us to the family. She actually ended up showing up @ 9:30 - I hadn't yet had my intro meeting so they left and I am to be taken later this evening - fingers crossed.
I met with Chris, one of the people who look after all the volunteers. Side note and piece of mind for the parents - There are two people who "man" the office. Then there are about 6 people who watch over the volunteers who have volunteered here or abroad before. And there are approximately 33 volunteers here at the moment - I'm not alone!
Anyways, we had our meeting and Chris said that if we ever got homesick/culture shock, to just call one of the 6 and we would go out for a drink, talk it out, and he guarenteed we will feel better after that - I might be homesick every night ;). Kidding. He then took us on a walking tour of Thamel where we learned all the hotspots, etc.
Come to find out all the volunteers catch a cab back to Thamel on the weekends and meet at a bar for a few drinks, catch up, and then head to dinner. From there we go out some more, plan our weekend trips, and go from there. DANG only being here for 4 weekends - I will make the most of them. I can promise you that. Sam from Indiana is quite the planner, so I am sure if I don't know what to do, she will have something planned.
Aside from the stories, I guess I should tell you a little bit about where I will be living and where I will be working. I am living with 4 other volunteers, as mentioned earlier, and living with a family (mom, dad, 9 year old girl) who run a kindergarden. For my volunteer project, I will be working at Patan Community Based Rehab center. CBR is basically a day center for children with disabilites who come there for therapy and education, games, and fun....I am pretty pumped to finally get my feet wet...as if I haven't already.
I feel like I am forgetting something, but as much as I have written I am not sure how I did!
Hope all is well state-side. I am looking forward to what adventure comes next!
Nameste!
No comments:
Post a Comment