First and foremost, Dad and Mom, I am okay. No, not okay. I don't even know the words to describe how I am feeling. If I have ever felt excitement in my entire life, I am feeling it right now....words cannnnnnnot describe.
Dad - I will get to my food and new friends later.
I wish I could write about everything that has happened thus far, but I must make this entry fast. I am going shopping with my new friend Chloe for an hour or two before I start my orientation. She is from Australia and has the coolest accent and has the sweetest slang. Watch out America.
I left America safe and sound. The 11 hour flight to Paris FLEW by. Literally ;). I got a little bit of sleep. The best airline food I have ever had....Manacotti with some other stuff. DELISH.
When I got to Paris is when the adventure began.
So I get to Paris and had to claim my bags and recheck in with Qatar Airlines. Well, I got my bags and naturally headed upstairs to recheck in. Upon arriving at the top of the escalator I could tell that I had NO clue what I was doing. All the counters around me were Delta. After walking around a bit, being Ms. Independent and all, I came to the conclusion that if I were going to survive the next 30 days, I would need to ask questions - so I did.
| Crazy cool walkways in Paris |
Side note - Every time I approached someone in Paris (Pare-eeee) they muttered "Bonjour" under their breathe, unsure of which language I spoke. I proceeded to say "Bonjour" in return, then asked my question in English. There faces were PRICELESS.
Anyways, so I asked where I could find Qatar Airways. After giving me a confusing look they told me that I need to go to Terminal 1 (I was in T2). So I asked how to get there and she pointed and said "GDVAL." Dad - she was speaking in French. Still clueless I asked more questions which finally resulted in her giving me a map - exactly what I needed all along. Its their airports version of the train.
So I finally find the train (remind me never to pack 50 lbs of luggage again...) and hop on. This lady asked me a question in French - "Pardon moi, madam..." The only thing I caught for the rest of her question was terminal and some #. I smiled and said yes because I had a feeling she was going where I was going....and I was correct. The # was three.
So I get off at Terminal 1 and proceed into the building. Everything there is labeled in "Halls." So again, I start looking on my own for Qatar Airlines....then eventually find myself at the info both which told me to be in Hall 1. So I go to hall 1 and STILL do not see Qatar. So I ask other ladies, who looked at my funny - silly American. They told me I was at the airport WAY to early. So I sat there for two hours and waited to check in.
My flight from Paris to Doha was AWESOME! I met a nice young lady who made my travel experiences NOTHING. She was on her way to Indonesia, just for the heck of it - what a life.
I then noticed that there was a row one up with four seats open. KACHING. I totally snatched that up, made myself at home and the rest is history.
Actually, let me tell you about Qatar Airlines. The US really has NO idea what they are doing compared to this world-class travel. I sit down and the lady (dressed in a fun uniform like you would see in a movie) comes around and offers you "sweets." Then, 5 minutes later, they bring around a warmed cloth for you to wipe your hands on. Then, 5 minutes later, they come around with drinks. They guy next to me got some wine and wasn't charged for it! I decided against it, but I will DEFINITELY be taking up that offer on the way home.....Then 5 minutes later they come around with a MENU. A freaking Menu.
The menu had 2 appetizers, 4 main coures, and 4 desserts. Thinking it was like a menu, when the lady came around, I gave her one choice of each. She then told me my only choice was the main meal because everything else was included. 4 DESSERTS?! Dad here is where my food came in. I got some Indonesian Chicken with Mee gogonng or something? It was....interesting. I then got a side of Perla salad, which I am pretty sure was some kind of fish egg....BLAH and tomato salsa. My favorite dessert was naturally the white chocolate mint mousse with the brownie. I didn't think I'd be eating like a queen.
Moving on - so yes. That flight went well. I woke up around 2 am for them serving more drinks and a sandwhich. She asked if I wanted a tuna sandwich or a veggie sandwhich - I opted for the veggie sandwich and ate all but 2 bites.....be proud ;).
We landed in Doha and here herded into buses and then take on a trip about 20 minutes from our plane to the terminal. I arrived at my gate after going through some weird security where they don't even watch their screen.....crazy.
The flight to Nepal was pretty interesting. It was alson Qatar, so naturally the flight went well. Except, like Mom and Dad told me, I was the tallest person there....by like, and extra person tall. These men were SO excited to get home that they all rush to the gate. There is no boarding by "Zones" like in the US. Its a free for all - makes for more excitment. Anyways, we finally get onto the plane and they are going crazy. Like, they CANNOT sit still....and they like to starreeeee.....I'll get used to it ;).
This is when the illiteracy came in - they handed us immigration cards and the two men sitting next to me couldn't understand what it said. Luckily, there was a girl sitting next to me who helped me out. We are now friends. Her name is Linda and she goes to school in Conn. She gave me her # and told me were should hang out. I might take her up on it =).
Anyways, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the men on the plane either had a beer or whiskey. Linda told me that last summer when she came home they were all trashed - which is natural as this is their "Holiday" - time off of work where they can go home (If they work out of country). So this time was no different. Some were worst than others....this one guy wanted to get the "Air Hostess'" attention, so he STOOD in his seat - the air hostess were a little frazzled at the end of their trip - so was I seeing as how that same guy had a little much to drink and got sick....I wasn't sure what was going on, but the men were yelling things in Nepali and I didn't understand....so I just chose to try and sleep.
Anyways - landed in Nepal and was taken away by this man with a "Projects Abroad" sign. His car wouldn't start for about 5 minutes....I stayed calm.
The trip to the hotel of which I staying is a different story.....I'm surprised we didn't die, but lets just say driving involves lots of honking...no rules of the road, every man for themselves kind of thing. I took pictures to keep my mind off of it.
| Kathmandu Airport |
| Day in the life... |
| Cows are VERY sacred in the Neaplese culture |
| Thamel - the 'tourist' part of Kathmandu |
I spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping - listening to the noises of Nepal from my hotel window. I am going to like here. I am already in love with it.
I must be on my way for I am going shopping with Chloe....maybe find a cute scarf or two. This weekend we are going on a rafting trip to Pokorha (spelling?) Class 3+ rapids, spending the night on the beach, riverside, and doing the same on Sunday! GAHHHH. SO PUMPED.
Thanks for reading. Sorry I had to cut it short, but Namaskar (sp?) for now.
Much love from Nepal.
Thanks for the update. Love you bunches and keep having fun.
ReplyDeleteI think you got a lot of information there! Be safe and love the blog!!!
ReplyDeleteI loved hearing the start of your adventures!
ReplyDeleteside note...Australian accents here I come!!! I hope I can pick up a little for you! =)