Saturday, May 23, 2009

You Can Call Me Crazy.

Nameste, from Great Falls, MT - the 2nd most foreign city I'll be spending my summer in. As the days dwindle down, my bags from Ames remind me that they need to be unpacked so I may start another leg on my summer journey. Nevertheless, I wanted to provide a space for all my friends and family to come together and read about my journeys abroad this summer as I travel to Kathmandu, Nepal during June 2009.

I must back up and explain to a lot of you whom read our annual Adkins Christmas (More formally know as Valentines Day) Letter, as to why I am no longer going to Switzerland.

The Friday before Spring Break I learned that I was accepted to study abroad in Leysin, Switzerland for the summer 2009. I was SOOOO excited. I was going somewhere less traveled, somewhere I could "submerse myself in culture," (Or so I thought...) and somewhere beautiful ....pretty much my only three requirements. A week and a half after returning from Spring Break I learned from KEI, the program I was traveling with, that the University I was to be studying at was closing their doors after the spring semester. How they did not know that they were closing their doors 3 1/2 weeks prior is beyond me, but it opened the door for another opportunity. (And saved me from weeks of trouble I knew awaited me had the problems and doubts I was having about the company to begin with kept up).

They provided me with a small travel grant for the "inconvenience" after which I decided I was going to go to Ireland. Long story short, I got my invoice to go to Ireland and pretty much freaked out -- it was WAY to much $$$ in my book to spend for 4 weeks in a country I wasn't really interested in visiting at this point in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to go to Ireland someday, but like I said earlier, I wanted to go somewhere less traveled....somewhere I probably would never go once I started a family. Looking back on it, the University in Switzerland closing was a blessing in disguise. As people found out I was going there I discovered that more and more people had traveled there and the country itself was starting to loose its appeal. After all, Switzerland has a culture, but I still think I would have been too comfortable there.

Back on track -- I got the invoice to go to Ireland and didn't know what to do. My dad was on a rafting trip down some river in Oregon and I was pretty much stuck. After thinking long and hard about it, I decided that I was no longer going to Ireland and had to quickly come up with a plan to do something else with my summer.

In the mean time, I am scrambling to figure out what classes I can take at ISU during the summer and began thinking of where I could work to keep myself busy. Seeing as how I was a CA in the res. halls during the school year I figured that I could apply to be a CA for the summer; little did I know that the application deadline had closed a few weeks prior; I didn't bother to read the e-mail because after all, I was going to Switzerland. After learning that I began to seriously think I was going crazy -- why would I spend my $$$$ to stay in Ames over the summer when I could go to Ireland for 4 weeks - at this point, I saw my only option to saving $$$ to go home.

This same week that my world was caving in on me I was sitting in the dining center one night and something inside of me reminded me that there was a PT club meeting that night....in 5 minutes. I wasn't going to because it was for a school of which I did not meet the requirements (Who takes calculus in college - seriously...;)). However, my gut feeling was to go to the meeting and see if they had any other information they could offer me that I did not already know about.

So I went. During this meeting the lady spoke about how the U of M allows their students to do their clinical rotations abroad. NO WAY! I started thinking that maybe studying abroad at this point in my life wasn't meant to be. Never in a million years did I think I could study abroad as a grad student. I went home and immediately tried calling my mom again - Attempt #101 and I still got a voicemail. I kept calling until she finally answered and literally cried for 20 minutes straight. I had spent my entire college career looking forward to this summer...the summer where I could go far far away and experience something other than America.

After I got off the phone with her I began researching opportunities to study abroad as a graduate student, when I randomly came across a website which allows volunteers the opportunity to travel and volunteer abroad. It was too good to be true. The cost of the program was nearly 1/4 of that to go to Switzerland and Ireland, I would be living with a host family, and I would be volunteering in Physical Therapy clinic for an entire month - I could not have had a bigger smile on my face.

I researched the company the opportunity was through to make sure they were legit - and they were. I was literally just browsing through the places I could go and saw that there was an opportunity to go to Nepal - NEPAL? I've always wanted to step foot on Mt. Everest....it wasn't real. I couldn't have been real. I knew immediately where I wanted to apply to go.

Long story short, within 72 hours I had talked to the a representative, applied, and was accepted to the program -- a program that normally takes two months to be processed through.

So there you have it. I am going to Nepal. It still hasn't hit me yet. I've been doing tons of research but in my head it just feels like I am going on another road trip....I'm sure that will all change when I land in Kathmandu.

I have never been more confident in something I have wanted to experience. I am more confident about wanting to go to Nepal than I was to come to Iowa State and that is a BIG statement. I am excited to go somewhere new. Somewhere I know nothing about. Somewhere where I know NO one. A place where I can truly submerse myself in a culture different than my own so that I may see the world differently.

I ask for your prayers and good thoughts while I am abroad. I will not have access to my phone and I am not sure how often I will be able to make it to the internet, but when I do, I can guarantee I will update my blog in regards to all my cultural experiences. Please feel free to shower me with e-mails while I am away (alexandria.adkins@gmail.com) -- I will do my best to respond but if I don't, I will be more than happy to call and chat your ears off for hours when I return ;)....not that you needed to send me to Nepal for me to do that anyways :).

Last, but certainly not least, big shout-outs to: my friends who listen to me go on daily about my trip; to Ms. Linda G., my advisor, mentor, and friend who wrote enough good things about me to prove to Switzerland I was worthy, and then again to Projects Abroad that I would fit better in their program anyways; to my mother who listened to me try and get my life put back together; to my dad who made the finances happen and for being scared for me; and to my baby sister who thinks I am going to starve. I love you ALL!

4 comments:

  1. Aaahhhh!!!! I am so excited for you! You are going to love it! I can't wait to read about your adventures more. I will be praying for you and your travels. Good luck with everything. :)
    Love you,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Alex! What a crazy story! I'm soooooo glad everything worked out for you!!! Good luck and be safe! I'm excited to see pictures and hear about your trip! Have a great time! :)
    Emily Trecker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaand she's off!! I'm sooo excited to stay updated on your several adventures coming up via your blogs and am so glad everything worked out so perfectly for you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers and I will be awaiting a phone call when you return!
    Love,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete